In September 2010 I was lucky enough to recieve a pre-release copy of Big Big Train’s Far Skies, Deep Time EP, due for release on 25th October, together with an email from Greg Spawton saying “play the songs you like on the show”. Of course, I liked all of the tracks on first listen, and more so with every subsequent airing, and simply had to do a special based around the release. David Longdon, the band’s vocalist (and multi-instrumentalist) agreed to be interviewed for the feature, and answer questions about the EP and what the band will be up to in the future.
So here’s the feature in full, as first released on The European Perspective #87 on 26th September 2010. My thanks to David for taking part and for such an insightful interview, and to Greg, Andy, Dave and Nick from Big Big Train for being, together with David, one of the best bands on the English progressive rock scene.
- From The Wide Open Sea (1:21) from The Difference Machine, 2007 – used as intro
- Master Of Time (7:44) from Far Skies, Deep Time, 2010
- Fat Billy Shouts Mine (6:34) from Far Skies, Deep Time, 2010
- British Racing Green (3:59) from Far Skies, Deep Time, 2010
- Brambling (5:00) from Far Skies, Deep Time, 2010
- The Wide Open Sea (17:44) from Far Skies, Deep Time, 2010
Big Big Train are:
Danny Manners – double bass
Jon Barry – guitar
Martin Orford – keyboards